PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Telegraph article on "poisoned air"
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2007, 15:28
Anti-ice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was once onboard a 757 that suffered a fume event during an engine test on the ground (doors were closed and armed , so no way of exiting a/c).

I am fortunate in that i get a headache about once or twice a year , but the pain i experienced that day was pretty unreal.
I also went 'blank' in efffect, for the length of the engine run and probably 20-30 mins afterwards.

I phoned our occ health centre on reaching base , and was told in no uncertain terms that "there was no way any permanent damage would have been done"

I have flown on the 757 for 20 years now,and luckily we have so few these days i rarely go on it.

It would certainly appear that there is a reluctance by the industry to fully and completely address this matter and that is worrying for the many that work on these a/c types day in day out.

Is there supposed to be an (expensive) filter kit than can prevent this from happening ( i once heard ) ?

If we were reassured that there is a problem and that it can /will be fully rectified, it would make people sleep a little easier knowing that working onboard one of these planes could leave you with an uncertain future.............