PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should seniority be scrapped in airlines?
Old 7th Aug 2007, 14:41
Viscount Sussex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here we go. So many good posts, different angles. Every system has its good and bad points. However, fair is fair. In my opinion LIFO (last in, first out) should be used for redundancy. Same applies for promotion, first in (higher on the list) gets a shot at his/her command. Reverse for demotion. When he or she gets the command, subject to proficiency, keeps it. If you start promoting people on "merit" (I heard it called other things), it can be subjective. Direct entry it’s great for the guy that already has a command. But I’m sure that if I went to Argentina or anywhere as direct entry captain, the local F/O’s would be unhappy, because it would only delay their promotions. Also who is to say that the criteria for promotion in one company are the same as in another company? Transparency. A list of names with the date of joining to the side of each name is pretty hard to argue with. It (hopefully) avoids funny hand shakes, nepotism of all sorts…. the correct squadron tie…, mates of mates…, etc….etc
Some new pilots believe that they would benefit from that system, so they support it. Maybe some would benefit, but overall it wouldn’t be good for the pilot fraternity.
That’s my halfpenny worth.
In the banker, so shoot!!