PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MDA and Missed Approach gradient
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2007, 12:13
ITCZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Piltdown Man
I'll tell you what we would do and that's to follow the non-standard N-1 procedure that you would use following an EFATO (and not the Standard Missed Approach as depicted on the approach chart). The rationale behind this is that the point where you start the go-around (before the start of the runway) will give you a distance bonus vs the take-off scenario. You'll also have the additional bonus of flying speed before the start of the take-off point.
You might try it, but you would not have the protection you thought you had. I'd think a little more carefully about that one, P M.

I take it your N-1 procedure is what my FMS calls an EO SID, or what my operator calls a Special Departure Procedure.

Sure, you have speed and altitude. The one thing you WONT have, which is most important, is an RNP 0.05 nav tolerance and superb tracking guidance on that go-around.

EO SID/SDP are designed for departures off a runway. The EO SID/SDP commences at the departure threshold and is a 'gate' maybe 300m (0.15nm) wide.

It is one thing to go through that 'gate' departing off a 30m-60m wide runway. But it is another thing entirely to accurately place your aircraft within 150m of a ground fix in a single engine go around from a DA or MDA. And you are proposing to do that at or shortly after an engine fails in the go around.

Tricky.

Try it next time you are in the sim, and get the printout. Very few turboprop or jet transport pilots can do that trick in VMC, let alone IMC.

Last edited by ITCZ; 7th Aug 2007 at 13:04.