PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should seniority be scrapped in airlines?
Old 7th Aug 2007, 10:00
warmkiter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
think twice before you try to scrap seniority...

g´day

sorry to say, but half of the guys who write here, dont have a clue about airlinebiz.. its the half who wants to get rid of seniority...
how do you want to select the guys to the left seat? by flying skills..
big joke, sorry to say but in an decent airline all pilots have way enough skills to fly left and right seat.if not then chance the airline.if the F/Os are good enough only for right seat then something went wrong in the initial selection.
i have been flying 2 years A320 family as F/O, now since 6 years F/O on B744 and could have moved to comand course allready a year ago.had the option on A320 for lowcoster in the company or 767/757 charter also within the company. sorry to say but i like it more to fly a year or so as SFO on B744 and then go to MD11 cargo as commander.if you are in the biz, you know by the options for wich company i work for...
if you start choosing commanders by "skills,proficiency or management abilities" you get a brownnosing,completely management controlled,mafialike company.have fun, i dont want to work in an enviroment like that...one of the best things in seniority is that the management has no influence who becomes commander... think twice about that.. blue skies..