PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should seniority be scrapped in airlines?
Old 7th Aug 2007, 08:40
BelArgUSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To answer specifically to Dick Deadeye objections...
xxx
There are means of identifying those pilots who perform best as F/O and are potentially upgradable to captain sooner than others... This selection is derived from captain's reports, performance in simulator recurrent training, and in line operations. You see, our F/Os are, when performing above average, given a captain type rating, and thereby, are given the opportunity to occupy the LHS, and practice their future upgrade to full captain status.
xxx
As to the effect on the morale of F/Os, bypassed by direct entry captains, I hardly believe that it ever was the case when I got hired, alongside others. My airline had at times been forced to hire direct entry, not having a number of candidates who were upgradable. These F/Os did maintain their overall seniority. Here in Argentina, pay is a function of seniority from date of hire, and of course, position, not by size or weight of aircraft. I have merely 13 years seniority. I know some F/O, even on the 737, with 25+ years with this company, having a salary nearly equal to mine...
xxx
My colleagues and crews (F/Os included) considered me well enough to recommend me to a promotion to check captain, and further, to manager of flight training, as I have been instructor for many years in airline service (with PanAm). I might be just a plain average pilot, but my reputation as instructor is second to none...
xxx
When the A-340 arrived to this airline, they hired 18 direct entry captains due to the fact that these Airbus were an entirely different breed of technology... and I did not see any discontempt among our crews...
xxx
Shall I also mention, that many major world carriers, such as ANA, JAL, SIA, KAL, MAS, Asiana, Cathay, Emirates, all rely on a large proportion of direct entry captains. No need to mention that these are all succesful airlines, and not only because of geography.
xxx
As to why I did not join i.e. ANA or JAL in Japan, as many PanAmigos did, despite much higher salaries, is because I did not want to suffer 9 months of re-education (and brainwashing) to the Japanese culture and style of training, in a minuscule hotel room in Tokyo. Buenos Aires was always my favorite layover, of all the many places I did fly to... When I arrived here, I received, for free, 6 weeks of intensive Spanish language tutoring, and felt absolutely welcome by everyone, from airline management, down to the people in my street.
xxx
And I prefer Argentina beef dinners with pasta and wine, to sushi with sake...
No mad cows here, they do not need psychiatric treatment...

Happy contrails