PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USA Pilot Shortage
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2007, 06:59
PITA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sobering $$$$

I will say that this is one of the most informative threads for young(er) pilots to think about for their future careers.

I myself had 18 years in the US with USAirways. Did the flight instructor thing before getting the chance to fly sched 135 before that.
Then came 911, and the first bankruptcy. The second shoe fell when the second bankruptcy was imminent, and the salery which up till then was fairly good was again lowered.
I lost my seat in the airplane I was flying twice, before saying that enough was enough.
The loss of the pension that had been hard fought over many years and contracts was also gone like the wind. If I had stayed like most of my new hire class, I would be looking at still being in the right seat of a 320/737 with now going on 22 years with the company.

Now I have to fly for a company I had not even heard of till they started buying airplanes with all of the oil money the country has.

And this place is 6500nm from home.

Got to admit it though, I have become very comfortable here and in no way will I return to the "Good ole USA" for a job in anytime in the future.

I truely see no future for the airline industry with pay that is now so prevelent. How can the new pilot justify paying for the ratings that are required just to get that first job. And then fly till he drops from fatigue.

I have no idea why anyone would still want to be an "airline" pilot when you could do as BelarqUSA says and get a job that pays something decent and buy your own airplane. Your still in Aviation, but on your terms and not some cutthroat scumbags.

I had all of the gold stars in my eyes growing up and wanted to see the world.
I still am, but now from the Mid-east and not from home. And 95% of the guy's and now girls here, are also in the same boat.

For every story about the guy that is a wide body captain by the time he was 35, there are twice as many more that are not there. (maybe even more)

Use the brain in your head and make a life for yourself that does not include airline flying for a living.

My 2 cent worth