PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should seniority be scrapped in airlines?
Old 7th Aug 2007, 06:04
BelArgUSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Por favor, Dan Buster...
xxx
If you ask passengers (the ones who are scared) and ask "is that pilot ok...?"
What do you think they would prefer as captain, the best stick and brains, or the most senior...?
xxx
Sorry, in my long career, I have seen many idiots upgraded by seniority...
A very poor yardstick...
With TWA, in example, if you failed a first captain upgrade, you were given a second chance, not less than 12 months later. If you failed a second time, sim check or line training, you were relegated to PFO (Professional F/O) for the rest of your days, until retirement...
xxx
If a seniority system is maintained such as airlines in USA generally go by, I would recommend an ALPA and APA national seniority system... so if your airline goes bankrupt, a national sport with US air carriers, at least you are given a chance to continue your career...
xxx
I lost my job in DEC 1991 with PanAm, as 747 captain...
When Delta interviewed me a few month later, they offered me to be a new hire F/E on 727... and told me I could become a F/O rather soon... F/O...? Or was it to give some "oceanic procedures instruction" for free to a captain with 20 years Delta seniority... who spoke Hillbilly on HF with Shanwick...?
Shall I also mention what was the first year 727 F/E pay with Delta...?
You could not even "commute" on jump seats...
xxx
Dont ask why I moved to Argentina, they gave me the red carpet treatment.
They gave me direct entry 747 captain, then soon later check pilot... and gave me my self-respect again.
xxx

Happy contrails