PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light Aircraft Crash on Isle of Wight
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2007, 21:12
comflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I for one have flown a PA28 140, four adults with useful fuel for distance of trip and 45 mins reserve

The problem with that is this: the "useful fuel" is likely to be say 1hr - the average UK flight perhaps. If you have 1:45 of fuel the fuel level in a PA28 will be below what can be visually inspected. If one keeps doing that (depart with fuel below visual inspection level, without precise fuel flow instrumentation) one is going to get a suprise one day.

Exactly correct, I was planning flights just over one hour and toured Ireland doing so, (although fuel was not below visual inspection level and well understand your point) paying great attention to wind direction etc for timing of flights. I firstly spoke in depth with my CFI, he gave me a sectional diagram of a PA28 fuel tank giving quantities from empty to front corner of tank, then tabs and full. I also drained the tank and spent some time at the pumps to test the figures and also take the time to make myself a personal fuel gauge.
Thanks for your advice, with proper planning and further advice and tips from instructors and the forum I hope not to get the suprise you suggest.

Thanks again.