PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORK - 5
Thread: CORK - 5
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2007, 18:41
Aisle2c

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aer Lingus/Ryanair in Cork

Hi All

First post, I live in Cork and would be a frequent traveller through the airport.

I'm gutted Aer Lingus are shutting Ork-ALC for the winter, not even one flight a week. I flew last November to ALC and it was two thirds full. I went again in January, and it was one third full. I think they were flying 3 times a week to ALC and to reduce the winter schedule to zero is equally crazy. I checked the A.L. site a couple of days before we flew in january, as my sister in law was interested in going, but the price was about €250....and the plane was one third full in the end !!! It seems to me that Aer Lingus put little thought into an Alicante winter season apart from looking at the load factors.

There are still plenty of people with properties in the Alicante area. We, for example are going out again in November but this time through Malaga. Ok it is still Aer Lingus, but I'd imagine most will go through DUB or STN, with Ryanair....ironic that Ryanair have also mothballed the SNN-Murcia route for winter.

It's sad that the Airport debt issue has slipped under the radar, anyone know what the latest is on that ? Also, I can't understand why the unions at Cork Airport let Fianna Fail away with murder during the election. I was expecting an onslaught which never materialised. If the Cork people were moved, it was up to the people at the airport to get them going.

I know someone who works for Ryanair outside Cork, and they said that at the end of last year, jobs were advertised internally for a Cork hub (they were to base at least 4 planes in Cork) but then it all went quiet. They did say that Ryanair do things like that, and then move within a matter of weeks. So I guess they're playing a waiting game until they see how the Cork debt situation works out. Meanwhile, we in Cork are being left behind .