PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific CoS - URGENT ATTENTION REQUIRED
Old 6th Aug 2007, 16:50
rick.shaw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes. creative accounting is a great thing. Cx, like any business, are experts at that. As has been said, the shareholders come way before the employees.

It is always worth revisiting history every now and again - no matter how much we think we may be familiar with it. BB's post has refreshed my memories somewhat - a few important things I had forgotten over the years.

And that is what CX relies on. People forgetting the past and all the past evils that have been committed. The severity of bad events reduces as time goes by. We all remember the holocaust, but few really feel the pain now. Rather than stir up things, he has in fact just jogged our memories.

Yes - in hindsight, the pilot's should have done things differently. Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing?

What doesn't change, however, is the way CX management treats it's employees (not just the pilots). The fact is that this company rules by intimidation, fear and in a downright iron fist type fashion. It feels responsible to the shareholders and management only. There is no need to feel any responsibility(social or otherwise) to it's employees. The fact it has won several 'socially responsible' related awards only testifies to it's corporate power and pull over the media and government - nothing else.

CX had a go at breaking the union 6 or so years ago. Just like Lorenzo and Hawke, they see any organised employee action as a threat. Never forget the good that unions (HKAOA in particular) have done over the years. It is getting harder and harder just to maintain current levels of (inflation adjusted) remuneration, let alone get any improvements. Additionally, unions have done a fantastic job in keeping the airlines somewhat 'honest'. e.g. if Cx had it's way, all our ground courses would be completed on our G days or even leave.

Cx now have no need to break the union. The AOA has a 52% level of pilot membership. Just enough to ensure that whatever is voted in becomes binding on ALL pilots. Arguably, they seem to have a very cosy relationship with the AOA. If something is not voted in, they simply wait until the AOA has a revote. What will happen this time??

As for the deal on offer, I am somewhat bemused by all the speculation and rumour. Maybe I am looking at things too simply, but I cannot see how CX benefits from having A scalers extend until 65. They are the most expensive pilots in the company. Right now, all extendees are on B scales (read cheap). Additionally, CX can pick and choose who they extend. All those who are not seen as acting in the company's interests are simply not asked. Bypass pay is a minor outlay. Basically, the only ones to benefit from the rumoured deal are the A scalers themselves(some 200-300 max). Everyone else gets screwed.

This RA65 thing is an interesting issue. Everyone assumes that the government will heavily legislate for age discrimination. If one thinks about it, wouldn't this be considered anti-business? i.e. not being able to force someone to retire? If it's anti-business.......... I can't comment on other country's legislation though.

On another note, isn't it funny that the company insisted on negotiating some things separately(housing, rostering practices) before remuneration was even looked at. And then all of a sudden they insist that remuneration, retirement age and other COS items are all thrown in together? Or was that the AOA?

Last edited by rick.shaw; 6th Aug 2007 at 17:03.