PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2007, 07:56
bsieker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ELAC,

I agree, and you can express your thoughts very well.

Originally Posted by ELAC
I don't have current access to an A320 FCOM but the alternative scenario would require something like the simultaneous failure of both TLA sensors [...]
What is more, both TLA sensors would have to continue to transmit valid "Thrust lever in CL detent"-signals for the fault to go unnoticed.

Originally Posted by bomarc
flaps-config 3

manually select speedbrakes extend
Keep two things in mind:
1/ it is doubtful that FLAPS 3 plus speedbrakes, which are only 6 of the 10 available spoiler surfaces at much lower deflection, would create more drag than FLAPS FULL without spoilers (although admittedly CONF3+speedbrakes would create considerably less lift)
2/ speedbrake extension takes 4 to 5 seconds, unlike ground spoilers, which takes only 2s.

Originally Posted by TyroPicard
Sorry bomarc - it's the signal to extend Ground Spoilers that activates the Autobrake. To pull the speedbrake lever back you push it down first - this disarms the ground spoilers. With your memory drill - no Autobrake.
Ground spoilers will extend anyway, even if not armed, if reverse is selected on one engine (and the other is "at or near idle"). I don't know what will happen if speedbrakes are extended, ground spoiler extension logic doesn't mention that, so it should not matter.

It seems that the remedy Airbus came up with after the TransAsia incident, a CRC with a reminder on the ECAM "THR LVR (ENG) not at IDLE" would be the most appropriate one. PM was monitoring the ECAM anyway (we know since he noticed "No Spoilers" and announced it as per SOP), and even if not, at the sound of a CRC you always look.

And in an A320 you always know where to look, which is the point of the C in ECAM ("centralized"). I guess it will be very similar in all modern glass-cockpit aircraft.