PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2007, 11:47
TyroPicard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do any of you have any inkling of what is causing this apparent 'mind-set'?
Not me! The only common factor is one Reverser Inop, and (I presume) the old MEL advice to use the good engine only in reverse. Here's one thought... Compare this with a OEI approach, where only the live T/L is in CL detent (shut down engine T/L is at Idle) and PF only holds one T/L, only moves one T/L to Idle during the flare - could that be a potential mindset that would cause this problem?
Would the answer be to teach A/T disconnect in the flare on a manual landing
A/THR disconnects by moving T/Ls to Idle - when the TLA (remember the donut?) reaches existing thrust, further rearward movement reduces thrust. I assume you mean use the Disconnect button as well? Not a good idea as someone is bound to push the button before moving the levers and the result is Climb thrust just when you don't want it!
somewhere back in the thread there was a mention of 1.2EPR on the No2 (Nod's post #1113?). IF this is pukka, is that what you would expect from the A/T as it tries to maintain Vapp with No2 thrust? It seems quite low to me. Is it possible that a partial throttle back from CLB had taken place and would the EPR then be lower?
Reading James7 plagiarism I conclude that when A/THR disconnects on this particular landing the thrust is locked by the FADEC on the No.2 engine, the one left in CL detent. Long time since I flew an EPR engine (V2500 shows N1) but IIRC 1.2EPR is somewhere between a reasonable approach value and Climb thrust and would therefore indicate an accelerating engine at the moment thrust is locked.
TP
PS I don't think Autoland experience will produce that mindset - manual landings are far more common .. and the proportion of Autolands in Brazil must be pretty low!

Last edited by TyroPicard; 5th Aug 2007 at 11:52. Reason: PS