PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Strange Habits of Your Captains
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2007, 10:24
On speed on profile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skiesfull, you hit the nail on the head! CRM is not about sharing authority, it is about lessening the cockpit gradient so that the Captain doesnt find himself/herself in the position where the S$%T has hit the fan and they are working as a one man band!

Rainboe, you do have some valid points with regard to the level that CRM must be applied but just listen to yourself for one second and you may realise that the self styled "Toxic" attitude that you portray only serves to hinder your job as a Captain by fostering an atmosphere that will either beat fragile f/o's into a blubbering mess, incapable of helping in any situation or even worse.... make your f/o's who are actively hiding their dislike for you, actively want to see you mess up just to put you in your place.

Both of those outcomes are ones that ultimately bring us back to the days of pre CRM and we all know what happens then!

When I question my Captains decisions, or point out deviations from SOPs, I do it in a tactful and respectful way because I need to clarify that I am right, not that the captain is wong! I am happy to hold my hand up when I am wrong, make a mistake or dont know an answer but thats part of the learning curve so I sure as hell expect the reaction/answer to be a civilised one. Some of those LHS's out there must remember that they are still on that learning curve as well, albeit further along but on that curve none the less. If you think your time has come to stop learning (in either seat), its time to retire!!!

Last edited by On speed on profile; 5th Aug 2007 at 10:53. Reason: To spell check and add further