PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VB ad today's Australian
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2007, 22:47
Dehavillanddriver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Megapixel

You didnt answer my question.

How much do you think the pay is for the EMB?

You say it is an insult - but what in particular is an insult? - the base salary? the work rules? Even the lowest rate of pay on the EMB as a First Officer is still well above the average pay for Australians.

Could it be better - absolutely. Is it worse than other operators of the E Jet in Australia? No - it is a better base salary and better overall package with better long term prospects - and those other operators do not offer moves onto the 737 and possibly the 777.

Do I think that it could be improved - yes I do - but I also take a longer term view - I look at what we were on when we joined Virgin and look at what we have today - despite all the rhetoric and bitterness about the recently voted on terms and conditions, things are without doubt better than they were, and there have been improvements with each agreement

It is relative,but I guess that is where you have the advantage - you can make a judgement about whether the package on offer is for you (and by your posts I assume you have) - the people that I get a bit annoyed about are the ones who join knowing what the deal is and then start whinging when they get there.

For those that think that Emirates is a better option - go for your life - but for me it isnt, the salary between Emirates and Oz is not all that much different in REAL terms - once you take into consideration direct and indirect taxes, the cost of living - including the cost of getting home on the odd occasion, the inflation rate and the fact that as a foreigner you have absolutely NO rights.

I have worked as an expat and like 99% of all other expats I spent a fair amount of my free time figuring out how to get home (and how to get back again).

The allure of a big shiny 777 or A330/340 is certainly attractive, and would be great fun for a few years - but thats the limit - after a few years you start looking at ways of getting home.

If you left a jet job in Oz to go there you are pretty much stuffed as you will be an expat for the rest of your working life.

so megapixel, if you have not been rejected and are just making a stand on "principle" I reckon it might be worth taking stock of what is important in life. If you have been unsuccessful - well sorry - it is unfortunate and very disappointing - been there done that - but there is life outside of VB, J* and QF - but in my books that life isnt worth considering unless there is no other option.