PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 50 stories for 50th birthday
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2007, 14:01
Two's in
Below the Glidepath - not correcting

Received 60 Likes on 18 Posts
Who was the guy (was it the OC?) who during Night flying on Otterburn failed the 12,000Kg snatch in a Lynx after lifting post-refuel without disconnecting the hose first? Fortunately the Torque meter passing through 140% and a Red flashing "Bowser Still Connected?" caption helped him before anything too serious happened.

Not forgetting 662 Sqn's impeccable FARP demo to the 200 or so Eastern Bloc Exercise observers in Germany in the mid-eighties, where the RN Exchange pilot decided to prove that the Navy have bigger flares than the Army, while failing to notice that the Lynx pair he was leading was approaching the FARP down slope. Gravity and Bernoulli work as advertised, tail rotor hits the mud, TR drive shaft shears, Lynx spins about 270 degrees during which the main rotor blades chop through the bowser hose which is laid on the ground, AAC Lt in the RHS rapidly beginning to understand that his Navy buddy has now deviated wildly from the script, pulls the ECLs and bring the Airshow to a rapid and bumpy end. During all this the Lynx has been spinning like a dervish with blades contacting the ground, surrounded by the FARP team (Mick Scaife) and not one of them got so much as a scratch.

The best bit was seeing 200 chins hit the ground from the Eastern bloc observers, and then when the dust (mud actually, it was Germany) settled and it was clear everyone was OK, they began to applaud politely. I think it was Wellington who said, "I don't know what they'll do to the enemy; but, by God, they frighten me. ..."