PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VB ad today's Australian
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2007, 13:36
32megapixels

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dehavillanddriver - good research.

The pilots are not deserving, you are correct. This was not my direction of critism.

What is evident is the lack of industry research management has done. Bean counters such as Brett Godfrey and politicians such as Transport Minister Mark Vale (best friends) come in, reap benefits of companies such as Virgin Blue et al, and then after a 5-7 year period take their bonuses while leaving nothing for the workers.

There is and has been for several years a declining perception of the aviation industry as a highly skilled profession. While it doesn’t take a genius to operate an aircraft, it does take a great deal of training, patients, dedication and loyalty over many years to get to a level of professionalism suited for a job on an EMB, or an aircraft in this category of operation.

It is insulting the package on offer and for someone in my shoes, who could choose this path if I decided, I choose not to. I could commit to this and yes, then that step to another company.

However, I do not see this as beneficial when it comes to moving again, and with family considerations it is just not worth the hassle. While a training wage eases the difficulty of transitioning into a job like this one, the benefits for many of us in the industry are not completely obvious and so choose not to apply.

It is a profession; it should be respected as one.