PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Greenham Common.. and first postings.
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2007, 11:31
Al R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greenham Common.. and first postings.

Does one's first posting offer something special? A combo of being released from training and a sense of adventure maybe. Greenham was mine, and I dropped in the other day. It seems like yesterday, but is now referred to as modern history.

Sorry that some of the shots are badly exposed, I was experimenting. Forgive me too, if this is the wrong place for it (or if its just a boring thread and not in keeping here) but I always think there's something melancholy and almost spiritual about a unit thats no longer being used for what it was built for. Or maybe it is just a collection of lumps of concrete and old buildings?

The PX. God bless America. Southern Comfort and John Daniels $1 a bottle..

Each camp was colour coded the women. If they ever got in at a certain spot, they would sign the fence with pride. A bit like dogs and lampposts.

The chow hall. We used to laze on the grass here.

hangar 303.

Looking into the GAMA, now..

.. and in 1982. Foliage wasn't allowed and grass was to be no taller than 1.5 inches.

Building 273. Still declared to NATO and still inspected by the Russians.

VAG now uses the C5 pans to store cars.

The fire trainer.

The perimeter fence is a mass of patches.

Emotive stuff.

Leafy Berkshire. 25 years ago, there were battles on this stretch that would have made the miners blush.

This was the exact point that the Smellys first set up shop. They called their tents (made of sheets of plastic) benders. It is now a garden of remembrance for one of the girls who was a regular there.