PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna 172 Running Costs
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2007, 09:16
SkyHawk-N

Location: Here and there. Here at the moment but soon I'll be there.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why would i want to collate stats on H2AD engine when i clearly would not touch another with a barge pole.
You, at every opportunity, tell people not to touch H2ADs with a barge pole. You stated above that the cam gives up at around 1000 hours (QUOTE: "You will rarely notice the engine sliding into self destruction as the power tails off slowly with the reducing valve lift as the hours build toward 1000"), I wondered where you got this from, it must be based on fact, mustn't it? You say the cam is made of 'chocolate', in that case I'm suprised they reach 1 minute, let alone over 1700 hours!

It certainly doesn't bear any similarity to my H2AD, Fully Flapped's H2AD and many other H2ADs I know about. In fact the engine is a popular choice for fitting in RVs in the USA. The owners choose them as they know they are a good engine which can be purchased quite cheaply owing to a few people like you exaggerating their problems.

Spernkey, your experiences with H2ADs are bad, mine are very good.
Think about it, if the engine still had a problem, wouldn't there be more reported about them nowadays and people certainly wouldn't be using they for new build aircraft? Search the NTSB database for reports on incidents involving D2000/D3000 mags or H2ADs, if they are so bad and dangerous there must be some, right?