PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Strange Habits of Your Captains
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2007, 06:48
Rainboe
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What an extraordinary set of posts! Go away for a couple of days and out this stuff comes from the woodwork!
My response to:
Cause to be fair, we're not the only people who do daft things.
was
No thank you. Your job (especially at the ripe age of 21) is to sit there, shut up, adapt to different techniques, and start learning the job, and not criticise the people who have to work with you....
because sometimes, I am convinced this CRM training has gone too far, and people are coming out of school clutching their CPLs and 250 hours or whatever, and they've been told that whatever they don't like, they must stop, whether they have any basis to make a judgement or not. Well believe it or not, they know zip all, so sometimes it's better to shut up and see the operation and learn! They think 2 pilots are a partnership- they're not, no matter how 'clever' or 'highly experienced' they think they are at 21. I've flown with quite a few new ones, and there's sometimes an arrogance there that 'I've made it, I've got the uniform, and now I'm here, so listen to what I have to say ('cos that's CRM!)'. It actually takes quite a while before they become a positive asset on the FD. So I really don't like to listen to those comments mocking the lhs, because it is making them lose respect for the boss, and when that happens you have a bad and unsafe operation.

We've had
Respect is to be earned
! Stuff and nonsense! You respect the Captain who has shown he has the ability to do the job long before you were even flying (or born)! I don't see many Naval Captains having 'to earn respect'. If you don't 'respect him', your Naval career goes up in smoke. Where did you guys get these ideas? It's that damn CRM again! Thank God the navy hasn't gone down this road! You 'respect' the position until you show you are up to the standard to 'earn' your own respect boys! And have the experience (and maturity) to make a judgement. And here's the difficult bit (obviously for some of you judging by your attitude), even if you don't have 'respect' for him, you bloody well hide it and make sure you are the best copilot there is, or the work relationship breaks down and people may well die. So keep your derision/disrespect/animosity so totally well hidden it's not true, because you let that out, or he catches wind of it, and you have destroyed a working relationship and spoiled the operation.

That's why I don't like threads like this, from either angle. That, and the other reason is one has the feeling that one is really talking to a flight simmer who thinks he knows it all. There are too many pretenders here these days who like wasting time.

Atishoo- what are you doing here? You are a shivering, tantrummy wimp of a nervous flyer! You have no 'respect', even as a passenger fer goodness sake. Show you have some backbone before you interject where you are positively not wanted (and have so totally no business).