PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - St Petersburg to Moscow on tu-154
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2007, 19:31
Evening Star

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fish

WHBM has about got it, in that the roads in Russia scare me more than any flying (well, almost) experience in Russia. Cannot comment upon the toughness of TU154's, although anything built to cope with Russia and not fall to pieces has to be massively over-engineered. Interiors are appallingly old fashioned, with the Formica finishes a dead give-away. Older ones have open luggage racks, which is fine until somebody nails it onto the runway and all the boxes precariously wedged in place rain down. Seats are often shot and the escape slide is fold out canvas (nice...). Also, should you be unlucky enough to get the windowless seat about halfway down on the right hand side with the air conditioning (or something cold) instead, ask for a blanket or you will freeze.

And that is all better than the TU134, which I admit to having a soft spot for on visual appearance as not an Airboeing clone blob.

Perhaps not giving a good impression. Look at it like this, even though there are still a lot of them around, I have a feeling their days are numbered and fly one while you can. They may be faded and old-fashioned, but the major airlines do look after them so do not really expect anything to go wrong. I fly in them and to be honest, the taxi journey to the airport is the most terrifying bit ... wasn't that how I started?