PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2007, 18:11
bomarc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so much talking about the glideslope.

let us go back to flying 101 (basic flying) spot landings...you pick a spot on the runway ( or abeam a light) and go to it and plant your mains on it. the pilots were visual and that is what I would have done on a short runway...I would also have advised the non flying pilot that I was departing the ILS glide slope for a visual aim point...this is allowed from the middle marker on in 121 ops here as long as you are visual.

I really doubt if the pilot in question was actually watching the glideslope so much as watching his spot/target...perhaps he was just using the expression one dot low to explain the GS inhibit request.

The 3 degree glide slope is a wonderful thing, it truly is a miracle of aviation. the ILS is a wonderful thing. Jimmy Doolittle made the first blind landing almost 80 years ago using vibrating reeds instead of our needles or CRT equivilent.

But a good pilot, looking at a spot on the runway, in decent wx will be able to get a more precise landing than an ils will give you...provided that you are clear of obstacles, and stable.