PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2007, 14:20
borghha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi

I m surprised the translation into english of the CVR is quite poor and has created some confusion. The 'decelera' (decelerate- imperative mode) is followed by 'não da'. this refers neither to a subject (the PF) nor to an object (the TL) it means 'unable to' (execute what was asked, ie decelerate) It is very improbable that this frase refers to a problem with he TL according to me. (I m a linguist)

I can understand that at first one would be unaware of a forward thrust building up in the engine with the inop REV, since I suppose that the op REV produces the same loud noise in the cockpit as in the cabine, thereby masking the other engine spooling up. But when not decelerating with one REV on, why wouldn t it occur to one of the two pilots that something is pushing the plane forward? And that that could only be the other engine...

Perhaps the fact that the RETARD signal didn t stay on led both pilots to think that both engines were put at idle. Their minds must have been concentrating (too) hard on the engine with the op REV they would have to use as soon as possible given the situation at CGH.

If only TAM had implemented this extra warning....

Keep flying safely guys!