PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2007, 12:02
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
AlexL
however I make my point again, that in a boeing you would need to retard the lever to land - (you would notice if you forgot because you would be floating half way down the runway still airborne), and you need to push the lever forward yourself for the engine to spool up again.
In the Airbus, it will retard the thrust itself- without moving the lever, and then spool up again, itself, without pilot intervention, if the lever is not moved - that in my book is a significant gotcha for a human factor error.
What has been stated by many in this thread is that:
  • Boeing = bring the TLs back to idle at the correct moment, depending upon automatic or manual landing.
  • Airbus = bring the TLs back to idle at the correct moment, depending upon automatic or manual landing.
If one TL is left in the forward position - in ANY a/c - then it will directly affect the outcome of the landing. Perhaps this will bring another discussion about two small video cameras being added to the flight deck. Many do not like the idea but they would show exactly what happened (assuming that FDR not damaged etc.)