PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2007, 10:58
AlexL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
However I still make the point, that in normal ops the 757 (and all other boeings?) the thrust lever matches the actual thrust delivered at any point n time, whereas on the airbus it doesn't.
That may be true but what has been stated in this thread on several occasions, is that: with a manual landing - in any manufacturer's machine - if you leave one TL forward, then it will give the thrust commensurate with that position.
however I make my point again, that in a boeing you would need to retard the lever to land - (you would notice if you forgot because you would be floating half way down the runway still airborne), and you need to push the lever forward yourself for the engine to spool up again.
In the Airbus, it will retard the thrust itself- without moving the lever, and then spool up again, iteself, without pilot intervention, if the lever is not moved - that in my book is a significant gotcha for a human factor error.
In this accident, surely it must have been an autothrottle approach? a manual throttle approach surely cannot have been mishandled thus? the aircraft would have floated enormously had the lever been left open.
yes you could do this on any manufacturers machine, but I say again, in my being you would have to retard the thrust lever to land, and then push it open again, a highly improbable 'mistake' to make. and an impossible one to make if reverse is deployed as the reverse levers lock the thrust levers closed.