PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TWO MEMBERS CREW vs THREE MEMBERS CREW
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2007, 10:19
BelArgUSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The issues...

My airline now operates long range flights (747-400 and A-340)... Of course, these airplanes were designed to be flown by 2 pilots, no F/E required... But the designers of the airplanes failed to realise that you cannot dispatch an airplane on a 14 hrs long sector... with 2 pilots, this due to duty and flight time limitations... with our regulations (we use rules similar to US/FAR 121), a 2 pilot crew is limited to 8 hrs flight time, and 12 hrs duty time.
xxx
Occasionally, a A-340 might operate a short sector, where there would be no flight time or duty time problem, but if, after a night stop, that crew is assigned to a long sector, requiring 3 pilots, we, at the end, dispatch all flights with the 3 pilot crew complement, regardless how short/long sectors are, same for the 747-400... We only have one base, Buenos Aires, and if there was a need to vary crew complements in view of sectors, what we would gain in 2 pilot only crews, would be lost in hotel costs and 3rd pilots deadheading here or there. Crew schedulers are not rocket scientists, it would be a nightmare of logistics to vary crew complements, in function of various sectors to be flown. Remember, we can operate our 747-200s with our minimum crew up to 12 hrs flights and 16 hrs duty...
xxx
On other postings, in Pprune, there are numerous questions about the adequacy of airline training and qualifications of new hires. Well, I started my airline career with PanAm as a 727 F/E, then became 707 F/E before upgrading to a "window seat", as 727 F/O... it was excellent training in itself, to sit "sideways" a few months, before becoming a F/O... I hope that the new generation of pilots will get that exposure when selected as 3rd pilot for long range airplanes of this new century.
xxx
I admit that having a "3 pilot" requirement for 737s was ridiculous, as United, Western and Frontier did it in the early 1970s... Both 737s and DC9s were designed for 2 pilots, and flew short sectors.
xxx
Last word here. I asked a friend in the crew planning department, about the hourly cost factored for cockpit crew of a 747-200, compared to 747-400... The next day, he answered me that the hourly crew cost of the 747-400 is assumed to be US$ 85.oo higher, for the 747-400. I am so happy that my airline saved us from bankruptcy by selecting the 747-400. I would also like to know the banking interests paid to finance 4 airplanes of $35 millions each, versus the costs of selecting 4 of $10 millions each... QED...
xxx

Happy contrails