PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2007, 10:06
Max Tow

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
PBL
It would seem you are at odds with the ASN Bacolod synopsis.
I don't buy the 4 similar accidents in "x" million flying hours = acceptable coincidence argument. Given your reduced figure of only 11 A320 operational hull losses, I think it's entirely reasonable to look at those for consistent factors. The purpose of accident investigation, after all, is to ensure as far as possible that we don't fall into the same hole twice, and to answer the question (for at least the benefit of relatives and liability lawyers) as to whether with the technical and historical information available, the accident chain of events could have been broken.
Let me declare an interest here: one of the saddest accident enquiries in which I took part involved a mishandling of an apparently innocuous defect, with near catastrophic consequences. Within 24 hours, two other pilots had the courage to come forward and admit that they had done the same thing (but recovered the situation) but in each case had not reported because they felt it was their unique stupidity rather than a procedure easily amended.

Last edited by Max Tow; 3rd Aug 2007 at 10:40.