PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2007, 09:59
SoaringTheSkies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PBL, I agree with you that the statistical probability of this specific accident to happen has shown to be rather low.
I would, however, like some spotlight on the spoiler inhibiting logic, where the Warsaw accident bears some similarity.
Basically, there's a chance that the system goes into the "logical sitting duck" mode. Meaning that the logic can't come to a decision on the state change.
As others have pointed out, in the given configuration, wheels spinning, squat switches (supposedly) depressed, one engine in reverse, pilots applying manual brakes, we're certainly committed to the landing.
Even if it was only relatively few lives lost, it should be considered to create an override mode for the ground spoiler system.
Also, the state "one engine in TOGA/CLB, the other in REV" seems to be not very meaningful and it should be investigated if there could be a logical lockout for that.
Of course, this is all for the final report to show, but I really hope, it will go to that detail rather than just stating a pilot error.
pj