PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna 172 Running Costs
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2007, 05:27
SkyHawk-N

Location: Here and there. Here at the moment but soon I'll be there.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Avoid N model like the plague as the engine has chocolate cams and runs 2 mags off one drive(redundancy?) You will rarely notice the engine sliding into self destruction as the power tails off slowly with the reducing valve lift as the hours build toward 1000
spernkey, you are like a stuck record! I'd like to hear the stats on 0320-H2AD failures from you. If you pick any aircraft model, especially Cessnas, you can exaggerate history to make them look dangerous. Look at recent crankshaft ADs as an example. Are you now going to be-little every engine which this AD affects?

As I have said to you before not all H2ADs are like the ones you have owned. Mine has 1700 hours and has NEVER had a thing done to it, no new valves, no new cylinders and certainly no new cam. I have corresponded with many other H2AD owners and they are as pleased with theirs as I am with mine. One person I have heard from has over 2800 hours on his without any major work done to get it there. The 'T' mod, anti-scuff oil additive and regular running (which is recommended with ALL aircraft engines) is what is required. Just use Aeroshell 15W/50 oil that has the additive in it, inspect the oil filter at oil change time as per AD and the cam and followers can be inspected easily if you are worried (did you do this with yours?). No worries.

As for the mag (which, admitted, isn't the best design in the world), please provide the stats on Bendix D2000/D3000 failures.