PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 8-9 months of flight training
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2007, 19:25
aldee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dream 747

I have a little experience with both countries training systems lately, here's what I've found.
I was 1 exam and quite a few hours into a CPL a in oz under the intergrated 150hr regime when some family requirements brought me back to NZ.
I am doing a CPL h in NZ currently and I plan to use that to finalise my CPL a in oz later.
The 150hr intergrated oz system allows you to bypass any ppl exams and only sit the cpl subjects whereas nz requires you to sit the ppl as well as cpl tests, 12 exams in all.
Oz exams are all cyber,you hit the button at the end and you have your result,nz is paper,you get your results within 7 working days.
The oz exams are based on Bob Tait although Trevor Thom is good reading,nz is based on Wagtendonk's Pilotbooks series.
Flying on the east coast of oz was relatively stable high pressure weather pattern stuff,NZ is all over the place, extremely variable down Canterbury where I am.
Christchurch does have a international training academy and November is not a bad time to be flying here,probably depends where you want to live/work.
Personally if I was on a mission to get a fixed wing license in as short a time as possible with minimal weather delays it would be hard to go past the east coast of NSW, having said that heli flying amongst the southern alps ain't half bad neither!

Good luck with your decision.

still smiling about the dr's cumulogranite
aldee