PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAC 50th birthday, looking for 50 cracking good stories
Old 2nd Aug 2007, 18:14
Jeep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice one EF.

I remember sitting next to lavers at a refuel point. The nice groundie plugged in the petrol pipe and came and stood next to the window. Lavvers looks at him and smiles and the groundie walks back to the pipe. On his next visit about 15 seconds later, he offers lavvers him a set of webbing (the webbing that belonged to lavvers), which had been on the front of the TOW boom during the previous flight. Thank god for groundies.

Reminds me of walking out to go fly at Bessbrook. I point to a tree in the distance and ask the bronnimonster how far he reckons the tree is. He says 600m. I say are you sure? They call that 1 K tree you know. Really? Nah, about 600m. Well I says, hang on a minute, why do you think they call it 1 K tree? He says dunno, but its not a K. Funny says I, Ive always used it as a weather guage. So I ask the gathered patrol waiting to get on the Lynx and we play soldiers for a second and I ask them all the same question. The average was 700m. I then ask my door gunner, he says dunno, so i remind him of the length of a football pitch and ask him to tell me how many football pitches between us and the tree - 1 K tree. He says about 5. I then remind them that there is some dead ground between us and 1 K tree, the light is strong around midday, and give Bronners another stab, just to be sporting. Sticks to his story 650m. So we went flying. Got back, got the map, measured the distance. Any guesses?
1000m. Thats why they call it 1 K tree Ahhh, them wert days.
Not good enough for the top 50 but might spurn you old sweats to fingerpeck a little and give us your dits.

Jeep