PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 8-9 months of flight training
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2007, 13:00
ForkTailedDrKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dream

The times I have given above are the time I took for the specific training.

There were gaps of several years between when I did the PPL, the CPL and the MEIR. I just happened to be working (not in aviation) in NZ when I did the CPL. In those days (mid-80's) you had to have 100 hrs on commercial ops in NZ to validate an NZCPL in Oz. Don't think that is still the case. My MEIR test was a combined CPL valiadtion test and MEIR initial issue.

I was just trying to illustrate that it is possible to go from ab initio to CPL and MEIR in 9 months, if you go at it pretty hard.

Not suggesting you do some in Oz and some in NZ.

Having trained and flown in Oz and NZ, I don't think there is much difference in terms of training. There are however clear differences in weather (often crap in NZ) and terrain (more cumulogranite in NZ) and much, much more mechanical turbulence in NZ.

When I did it, I reckon Oz trained pilots were better at navigating, but the Kiwi CPL demanded a higher level of aircraft handling skills [eg low level (as in 100 ft AGL) steep turns and turns around a point] and any NZ pilot who is not confident with X-wind landing is going to prang!

Dr