PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - share the noise vs share the carbon emissions
Old 2nd Aug 2007, 07:59
SM4 Pirate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LTOP - and the ugly footprint

Apache,

You can find the relevant LTOP documentation here at an Airservices web-page.

Effectively this LTOP (Long Term Operating Plan, which is legislated) document calls for the 'operating mode' which is day/time/wx/traffic demand dependant. It is sad and funny to see pilots complaining to ATC about using the runway pointing into the wind when it's less than 20Ks; like they can actually do anything about it.

My understanding is the trigger points for changing modes during a reduced operating mode (noise sharing, usually single runway for arrivals or departures or both) is excess of 20 minute delays or when 3 or more aircraft operationally require a non nominated arrival runway within an hour. (So operationally 'require' a change and presto change of mode, well if 3 of you do it).

Problems I see with the current triggers, ignoring the noise sharing concept (That's a bigger topic), is that the delays have to be demonstrated before changing modes (you need proof!). This is done using our tracking process usually comparing MAESTRO delays; often we see delays well over 20 minutes before changing modes, i.e. increasing the acceptance rate; then due to the volume (back-log) of traffic after the mode change we see 10+ minute delays still for the next 30+ minutes. If we changed when the delays actually got to 10-15 minutes but were expected to exceed 20 minutes; we could reduce the traffic volume (back log) significantly as we've increased the through-put before the wall of traffic actually hits.

Hopefully this is going to happen sooner rather than later.

From an airliner/pilot point of view; when is LTOP subjected to review? This a legitimate question to ask, CASA, ASA, Ministers (Federal and State); it effectively amounts to a restraint of trade for scheduled arrivals in the low acceptance (single runway) modes.

I find it ironic that we have all these concepts in train to reduce delays gate to gate times one minute for all flights; yet during LTOP modes at Sydney it's quite legitimate to 'cause' 20 minute delays.

A bit of math, bare with me Arrivals rate on single mode around 24 an hour (or less); 35 actually turn up; 11 aircraft get pushed back into the next hour. If the average delay is 15 minutes then we have cause something like 165 minutes delay; or more than 2 hours worth of peak mode 'savings'; in one hour of LTOP.

Read somewhere recently that the annual delay into SY is costed by airlines at around $39M. This isn't all LTOP (noise sharing) or ATC caused delay; mostly it's cluster scheduling, wx etc. but LTOP has got to add up right?

West ATC, Agree Good luck!

NFR, STARS change all the time, is this the true reason for the LIZZI change?

Can't see any politician sticking their head up on this one; it's only going to get kicked in the lead up to an election.

Opinions on Airport noise are like arse-holes, everyone's got one; usually it's about how it effects me; not what is logical, safer or right.