PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Neighbours war with wounded soldiers families
Old 2nd Aug 2007, 02:10
Tigs2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
am now just in! A long time after Cargosales , and Aristander is indeed a great chap for driving 4 of us back to the London area, and turning a one hour journey for himself, into a 2 1/2 hour journey. Thank you Sir!
I am at a loss as to what to say now, like Cargo and many of you i am emotionally drained. The chap from SSAFA who spoke must be commended, he was sharp, punchy and caused the room we were in (Public Gallery Full, but we had a big plasma screen and surround sound downstairs with 100 in the room + another one next door the same!) to erupt in applause.
Wondermum i know you will read this. I spoke to you after and said well done and you gave me a hug and said 'no' as you thought not. When you started it was plain to see that two years worth of hurt, anger, frustration, uncertanty and sadness overtook everything your bones were saying 'don't let this happen'.
You stopped, were silent, and you could have heard a pin drop in our room, we were holding our breath. I was sat next to the wonderful gent PPRuNe Pop and he just said out loud(the only voice in 100) 'Go on Girl!', and you did. You pulled through and went into the breech! You made us proud. You joined our community forever. Many of us have been faced with this, almost scared of what is to come, we then remember those of us who we love and care for, and we push forward. That, as you must know is exactly what Pete did. He would have been frightened and scared when his incident first started, and then he rembered you, and your kids, and all of his men, and he pulled through and he went on, the rest is history, but that is why he is a George Cross Holder (and tearfully I tell you that I am not! and hold my man hould cheap). You are justifiably proud of him, i think tonight he is justifiably proud of you.
By the time the fourth councillor had spoken (all the first 4 being women), I was in pieces! These professional people, who knew that planning was THE only issue spoke from the heart - like Wondermum. It was clear that they were all mothers. One of them only just made it to the end of her wonderful speech without breaking down. We saw her sigh of relief as she finished. There were many battle hardened men in our room with 'grit' in their eyes.
After the decision the celebration was immense, and we all went for a beer, much to the surprise of the staff in a pub (who were brilliant) expecting a quiet night on a wednesday, but i am sure to the delight of the landlord for the bar takings!
What struck me in the pub, were the 10 or so YOUNG men who had come down from Headley. Severe injuries, missing legs, arms, in wheelchairs, and most of them in the agegroup of my two sons aged 19 and 26. They were proud, shoulders back and looking forward, and frankly i was utterly humbled and felt honoured but cheap in their company. I spoke to one and said what does this mean and he said 'the best thing ever Sir! "More Hugs from me Mam!!" ' , I nearly had to phone 999....for me!
One soldier who had lost both legs has been accepted for the paralympics (however you say it/spell it!), he said I am going to try for every event, and if I don't make it I will move onto the next event!! His courage and mental stamina leaves me feeling small (although those that now know me know that I am)
I met a young man who had lost a leg who , looking at my medals said 'what is that'?, I said that is a 'Mention in Dispatches' he asked what it meant, I said well my understanding is, that if allegidly if you are seen to act bravely in a War Zone, you may be written up for a really high class medal, but if you don't quite make the grade you get this, which although not looking much is a very highly regarded acceptance of your bravery. He said 'you know sir, i didn't really know that, and I have just been given one'!!. He was humble, and had no idea of what he had done, and at 25!
Speaking of this we were blessed to be in the company tonight of men who had racks wider than their chest! We had young subalterns and Corporals through to 1 stars and all the hairy arsed feckers in between. We had Navy, Marines, Army, Airforce, Wives of, Husbands of, Girlfriends, Boyfriends and great great civvie support from people that value what we as a military organisation do.
As William Shakespere wrote, we are truely a band of brothers.
A few thanks
Part Time Pongo - I see from a post not so long ago you have lost your PPRuNe virginity PTP, you are a friend and an inspiration to many people. You have worked so hard (with i reackon only 3 hours sleep some nights) you have coordinated the media and the campaign in general, and have had the very difficult task of keeping people tight in terms of discipline on ARRSE in an environment where normally these things would not have been considered. The discipline on our part as forums was instrumental in our success. Thanks mate.
Dozy Bint and Moody Bitch .... THANKYOU!! from all on PPRuNe, E-Goat and RuMRatioN. What a pair of ARRSERS. Dozy i know tonight when i met you, you were litterally empty, you were Emotionally drained to the power of three. To the rest of you, no names neccessary, you all know what you have done, in whatever context. Remember what comes around, goes around! You reap what you sow!
My faith in humanity is restored, my faith in my comerades never waivered.
Please also remember many people whom i met tonight are still very much in harms way. Scientia In Alto.. A young man, A delight to meet you sir. Take care, fly safe, and continue to bring our boys out of harms way( obviously thats after you have had to drop them IN THERE in the first place!!) in Afghanistan. Thank the squadron chaps on our behalf
Thank you!

PS I know that there is a significant amount of money in fluffy's fund i was staggered to be honest ... A couple of thousand!! We could give to SSAFA for furniture etc, but I think that they have that in hand. We gave out leaflets, and i for one would be happy to go down and give out roses!! Everyone a thank you. Bridges must be built, thankyou's must me given and the families of our soldiers need to be accepted. We can be like the Rainbow house....ie opposed then fully accepted!!

PPS and very important. 'The Helpful Stacker'. Despite all of our banter etc, which are what forums are for, you have done a top notch job! excellent job well done, you are not alone as you leave the service today! Stay with us Sir and pm me if you need anything in London!

Last edited by Tigs2; 2nd Aug 2007 at 04:18.