PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tailwheel techniques
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2007, 00:20
VH-BOX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"So what's the short field technique for a Pitts?"

I can't speak for Cloudbasher, but for me in a single seat Pitts; steep forward-slip glide approach with minimal power, maintain cross-control to just before touch-down, kick it straight and stick back. Its a bit like riding a rock down, but it works. There may be other techniques, but that was what I used, in fact with a bit more power it was my standard approach, since it gave good forward visibility almost to touchdown, and a sideways Pitts is a very draggy object, so it slows down fast. As others have said here, the Pitts is actually a very nice aircraft to fly, without vices or surprises, if the pilot is adequately experienced, and maintains positive control at all times. I also use a slipping glide approach for the J3, and for the same reason, visibility. The J3 is fundamentally different to the later Super Cub, and is solo'd from the rear. It has even less visibility than the Pitts, as it is a cabin type. AerocatS2A 's earlier comment on Cub brakes is spot-on, and even more so in a J3 from the rear, as the heel brakes are pretty much under the front seat, and if your feet are bigger than a size 10 you can forget about reaching them. Even if you do reach them they are basically useless. Unlike the Supercubs Cleveland's, the J3's operate by inflating an expanding rubber doughnut against the linings, and won't hold much beyond 1000rpm.

EDIT - Quote inserted.

Last edited by VH-BOX; 2nd Aug 2007 at 06:04.