PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ek housing allowance for mortgage?
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2007, 22:18
mensaboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes.

Good luck on that one by the way. I have a place here in Dubai, that I rent out, yet there is no possibility of me moving out of company accomodations. If you haven't bought a place in the past, then you would be foolish, (in my opinion), to NOW buy a place and plan to live in it based on EK providing a supplement to cover the mortgage. It might appear on paper that the housing allowance is good, but once you factor in the hassle, the non-regulated charges, and the depreciation of value, then living outside of EK accomodations is not worth it at all.

And by hassle, I mean............... well too hard to explain sorry, but suffice to say, you will be amazed at what goes on here when it comes to consumer protection, or lack thereof.

If you want to make some money, I think there are still possibilities but not like there was 4 or 7 years ago. But in no way, should you be considering buying a place and living in it now with the idea that you are better off than living in EK company accomodations, with everything taken care of. Sure you take a risk coming here, considering that there is a wide disparity of suitable accomodations but generally speaking most new comers are going to DSO, and its pretty good. Its not for everyone, but if you have a family and kids, then I would bet that you would enjoy it.

If I could give anyone advice coming here.......... move into company accomodations...... do not take the furniture (or whatever its called) allowance and then after a couple of years make an informed decision.

Glad to see another American coming to this place, haha. Can't wait to fly with you and give you a hard time about GWB, lol. Don't hold my viewpoints against me please, as I won't hold it against you that your country has put an evil man in center stage on the world scene. I won't even mind if you take a swipe at me over a couple of pints. Politics are politics, but in my opinion you judge a person on their values and actions.

I truly hope your decision works out for you. Hope I was of help with your question.