PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRISTOL - 4
Thread: BRISTOL - 4
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2007, 21:11
MerchantVenturer

Brunel to Concorde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anorak,

I saw the Tv interview as well but didn't really get a proper look at the model as it was shown fairly fleetingly. There is certainly no mention of air bridges in the master plan, as you say, and the design of the terminal (built into the side of a hill with only one floor plus a mezzanine floor visible facing airside) would surely make such a venture extremely difficult.

The master plan envisages a two-level pier (essentially a covered passageway) leading from the expanded terminal to the expanded nose-in parking area which will segregate arriving and departing pax.

The plan drawing in the master plan could make the piers appear to be air bridges at a cursory glance.

I cannot think for a minute that BRS would move the master plan goal posts, unless to reduce the scale of infrastructure expansion, because the current proposals have attracted enough controversy as it is.

The new MD was understandably low-key and conciliatory towards the expansion opponents in his interview.

I think any meaningful airport expansion will be two to three years away at least, because the planning process will almost certainly be referred to a planning enquiry and very likely a legal challenge after that.

I would have liked the highly experienced ITV West business reporter to have asked Mr Kehoe how they plan to cope in the meantime, when we may be looking at in excess of seven million annual pax in the next couple of years if Ryanair base more aircraft for more routes as was suggested at the time the base was announced.