PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2007, 19:59
AlexL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too think its scandalous that the brazilian 'authorities' are conducting the investigation in this manner, but what do you expect - look at what they did in the 737 / embraer mid air - it was caused by air traffic control, and they managed to blame it all on the only non-brazilians involved, before the investigation was even close to being complete. ICAO should indeed look at severe sanctions - If this were africa then that countries airlines would be banned from flying in other countries. Why should this shower be any different.

Anyhoo I digres.
Its fairly clear that the accident was caused by lack of spoilers, which prevented effective braking, but of course the $6m question is why no spoilers?
I still can't see why a pilot would leave a thrust lever forward on landing, it is such an un-instinctive thing to do.
Has anyone actually said that the lever was in the climb detent? or are we assuming that because of the airbus memo and the statements that it was not at idle? i,e did he pull it back, but not quite all the way? If he was only intending to pull one back into reverse, I can see how the twisting moment with the hand on both levers could push the other one forward slightly,
How far out of idle does it have to be for the logic to prevent the spoilers actuating?

I assume that a computer error is highly improbable? I guess there must be multiple independent sensors on the TL positions and some form of 'voting' done by the computer in the event that one sensor was duff.