PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2007, 11:05
SoaringTheSkies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, A4, for the car example.
They work exeptionally well in all forum discussions.

To be a little more fair to the situation:

If as a motorist and owner of a specific brand, you were taught never to touch the brakes or gas pedal other than upon leaving/entering the driveway and entering/exiting the motorway, would that make you more prone to forget something at some point?

I am not at all questioning the fact that leaving one T/L in a forward position is completely outlandish. But, unless there's evidence that it was a TLA sensor malfunction, it seems that it has happened.

And the point I am, once again, trying to make is: some of the design decisions in the AB system seem to have contributed to the fatal chain of events that has been started by this one mistake.

You point out the procedure to disconnect the A/T
-match the donut
-disconnect

If the T/L were moving, that procedure would not be required, the thrust commanded by the TLA would always match the thrust commanded by the A/T. No need for a procedure. (and btw, TLs moving back into idle as by A/T would also have avoided the spoiler/autobrake inhibition).

So to me, again, no professional pilot but very used to many kinds of complex software and computer systems, the AB system seems to be less than forgiving for this specific error.

pj