PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Foreign pilots flying for US Carriers
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2007, 09:01
Sunny_Always

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
long forgotten is our singaporean friend eh?

the aviation scene in singapore is pathetic. SQ ownes the biggest 9V- fleet - including sia cargo, tiger, silkair - and Singapore Youth Flying Club ownes the second largest at 10 pa28 + 2 ct4e.

SQ hires from hongkong, india, malaysia for their cadet program as previously pointed out. locals can forget it with the 26y/o limit.

HOWEVER, unlike previously claimed, the transistion from RSAF to SQ is possible if not guranteed. im in grade 12 now and only a signiture away from 10yrs of service(if you didnt get it, the airforce pilot bond in SG is 10yrs). i specifically asked the recruitment officer this and he reassured me(though im not sure if he's just playing me to sell my soul). it is stated in the recruitment brochure under [retirement benefits] though.

come 32 and im gone making it not so bad.

instead of flying in north america, why not come back to singapore? syfc is low on instructors now. they've just gotten a rsaf guy to finish his remaining 2yrs(of his bond) there. their ground school instructor only just passed all 22 atp papers and he'll be gone soon. instructors get 2-3hrs a day and they fly 6 days a week so its not that long before qualifying for regionals like tiger or air asia though you'll probably have to get your own 320/NG rating.

my instructor half-jokingly asked me to instruct there when i passed my checkride this june. and its not true all the instructors are ex-rsaf.

but in the end, we should face it that singaporeans become engineers, doctors, lawyers and accountants, angmohs can fly us around the world.