PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Difference between dispatcher and "dispatcher"
Old 1st Aug 2007, 08:48
LHR_777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Posted by older_wiser
LHR_777
What would you say was better ? The current set up or the old days, when the Dispatcher / Redcap did most of the functions from the gate ?
In some ways i guess that you are quite lucky ( i think i'm right in assuming CLC is local to LHR) that you are not too remote, but there are are other carriers who have a CLC on the other side of the world.
From the days when i did W & B as well as dispatch etc i could not think of anything worse than not being able to make on the spot decisions regarding trim etc at A/C side, at a airport the size of Lhr as you know there are always logistical issues, (ie) cargo not arriving etc so what happens if you need a retrim ? does the TRM have to consult CLC before making a decision ? or do they have the authority to make decisions in line with operational requirements ?
It always used to be so convient if you had a slot to " Chop the freight " and retrim, so i guess if the TRM isn't allowed does this cause delays ?
Well, I believe that due to the never-ending health and safety constraints placed upon us, the current set-up, whilst quite new, is definitely the way forwards. It's not necessarily 'better' per-se, but it suits the evolving operational requirements (IMHO) and allows greater efficiencies across the departments. There has been a 'teething' period, but I'd say things are settling down quite nicely now. Of course, people always fear and resist change, but we're getting there.

The TRM is free to actually 'manage' the departure. They don't have to stay tied to a computer, away from the ramp, because CLC do all the load-planning for them. CLC send the load plan to loading and baggage and from then on, the TRM is in charge of the departure.

If the TRM needs to 'chop the cargo', he or she still has the authority to do so. A quick phone call to CLC to check the aircraft is still in trim is advisable, but the TRM has the authority to change the trim, within reason. Obviously if it's a complete re-trim and hold-version change, then CLC will need to issue a new trim.

The safety of all those working on the ramp is a priority of the TRM. As a Dispatcher, this wasn't always the case - the Dispatcher could be far away from the aircraft, in one of the many little 'huts' that are airside with computers and printers. This could create a loss of situational awareness.

It's taken a while, but the TRM and CLC community are working quite well together now IMO, and final figures are getting back to the aircraft much quicker than they were. The vast majority of CLC staff are new to the role and had to build experience very quickly, but these guys are doing load-planning and load-control every single day, whereas Dispatchers might have had one shift of load control every 4-6 weeks, which didn't necessarily make a great Dispatcher also a great Load Controller.