PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TWO MEMBERS CREW vs THREE MEMBERS CREW
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2007, 07:51
Rainboe
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Putt- why did cabin alt squawks go away when you went 2 crew? And I go into Deer Lake, Newfoundland now, in a 737 (after a 2 crew ETOPs Transatlantic at 41,000' no less! How the Fluff Jet has changed since the -200 days!) snow storms or otherwise! Great place, but really surreal when you can't see the runway and dry snow is blowing across it. Very strange effect, and a bit unsettling.

I'm afraid the economics of carrying a third crew member on 100% of flights versus the minute percentage of flights where he would be ultra useful just don't add up anymore- there cannot be an economic case for it. Rather like carrying a ton of fuel extra per every flight versus the very low cost of an extremely unlikely diversion through not having that extra ton. Modern aircraft are quite happily flown by 2 pilots. Modern flight decks are no longer built for 3 in comfort. Hell- they're not even comfortable for 2 anymore! I know some airlines like Air France used to operate the 737 with 3 pilots, but surely that was archaic industrial practices? (there- blame it on the French again, whether it's their fault or not). I cannot imagine how it was effective (or comfortable).