PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tailwheel techniques
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2007, 01:39
VH-BOX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"They have bungee main gear, so if you drop it on less than perfectly, you'll bounce."

True, but my S1D had sprung alloy gear, and operating on tarmac was a real pleasure. As to a Pitts being 'squirrelly', yes, that is nonsense, even the single seat Pitts's will run dead straight down to about 40mph if you put them down straight in the first place. The biggest issue for low-time Pitts pilots is an almost universal tendency to do 'tail-down' wheelers when trying to 3-point.

Here she is;

EDIT - After experiencing 26 tailwheel types, I believe the Piper J3 Cub is the most difficult to consistently 3-point without bouncing. It is the perfect tailwheel trainer, easy to land safely, but hellishly difficult to land elegantly. If pilots like Chuck Yaeger, Bob Hoover, and Manton Fain believed it a challenge, I don't feel too bad when I bounce mine. Manton Fain first soloed in 1942 in a J3 Cub, but 50 years later when he retired from the left seat of a BA Concorde, during an interview he famously said "If you can fly a J3 Cub well, you can fly Concorde, but the reverse is not necessarily true!"

Last edited by VH-BOX; 1st Aug 2007 at 02:03.