PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The 787 - What happens in a fire?
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2007, 19:57
amicus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re BGC
Again, it is the low ignition levels of epoxies and the heavy concentration of smoke, possibility of flash-over fires and toxic gases which are of concern. Bringing in stainless firewalls and that aluminum catches fire evenually is only ducking the problem to me. Frictional heating alone in wheels up landing will ignite the fuselage epoxies as cited earlier. It is not a question of eventually, but initially or why were epoxies banned from interiors decades ago as you now admit? There is a window of time for escape in survivable crashes mandated by FAA and a 787 FST test is required to see if that existing standard is met or not and that means a full up test.
My opinion is do the fuel fed fuselage FST test on the 787 and A-350XWB and assess results prior to certification, simple to me and I don't think any rational engineer would think otherwise. Problems don't go away from wishing them away. The epoxy FST issue clearly exists or why not use them on interiors?
Equally clearly, we need a full up FST 787 fuel fed fire fuselage test. I think I have now said my piece and hope it is clear to all.