PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The 787 - What happens in a fire?
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2007, 13:20
bgc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amicus
As far as I am aware cured epoxy is not flammable as a flammable material is something that will easily catch fire at commonly found temperatures. So for example petrol is flammable and uncured epoxy is flammable because of the solvents in it. The flash point of cured epoxy is approx. 200 Celsius so I don't think it can be classed flammable, I made that point incase someone was worried that the 787 would burn like the Hindenburg if it were to come into contact with a cigarette or something similiar, it won't. However in a crash there could be alot of burning jet fuel with temperatures building to >1000 celsius. In this situation epoxy would stand no chance - Not many materials would. So its not a question of if the composite will burn but how long the structure could resist the advancing fire to give passengers time to get to safety. You're correct about epoxy not being allowed within the cabin and it isn't found within the cabin of the 787, regulations forbid it. PEI composites are to be found instead. Don't forget that alu alloy found in current airliners isn't exactly excellent at resisting fire, indeed firewalls in aircraft aren't made of aluminium alloy, commonly stainless steel is used. I think that the structure should be able to resist the fire for long enough to allow for an evacuation which also means keeping dangerous fumes out of the cabin which would be the biggest killer of passengers who survive the impact. The composite structure will burn in an aviation fuel fire eventually - by the time that happens I don't think there would be anybody left alive anyway regardless of whether the aircraft is made of aluminium or composites.

Last edited by bgc; 31st Jul 2007 at 13:43.