PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tailwheel techniques
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2007, 12:37
ForkTailedDrKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
True story from the mad Dr.

Young fella from the bush has just finished his Unrestricted PPL (yes, its an old story). The biggest thing he has flown is a C172. Says to his highly experienced Tiger, Chippy, Auster, C185 flying GA instructor, "Before I go home, I'd like to do a tail-wheel endorsement"!

Instructor: OK mate, lets go talk about it then we'll pull the Auster (J1B) out and do a few circuits.

New PPL: F*ck the Auster, I want to fly that (points to C185).

Instr: Aw mate, you might find that a bit of a handful first up. I'd suggest you get the hang of the Auster, and then we can maybe have a go at the 185.

New PPL: No, I have no interest in the Auster, its got to be the 185.

Instr: OK, if you insist. Come into the briefing room and well talk about it for a bit and then we can go take a look at it.

So the Instr gives the New PPL his tail dragger briefing on all of the reasons that a taildragger can have a mind of their own, and then they strap on the 185 and taxy to the end of the strip.

Now remember that this New PPL has never flown anything with more than 150 horses! Never flown a variable pitch prop! Never flown a taildragger!

Instructor talks the New PPL through the procedure to be followed for TO, emphasising the need to feed the power in gradually while using the rudder to keep straight.

When they are all set, the New PPL fire-walls the 185 and it immediately sets off into the scrub. Instructor puts the boot in to get it straight, but it does no good - the 185 feels a piroette coming on. Instructor is hard on the toe brake as well - to no avail, they are in the vice-like grip of multiple forces well defined in the science of physics. Instructor admits defeat, and reaches over and turns the key off.

The 185 competes 720 degrees of revolution, almost goes over onto a wing-tip and comes to a rest pretty much lined up down the strip again.

New PPL: F*ck this, lets go get the Auster!

Instr: No ya bastard! You wanted to fly the 185, you're gonna fly the f*cking 185!

They spent the next 2 hours flying circuits in the 185.

As far as anyone knows, New PPL never set foot in a tail-dragger again.

Over multiple beers in the aeroclub bar that night, Instructor was heard to say, "F*ck, I didn't expect anything much to happen until he tried to lift the tail, but he just fire-walled the bastard, next thing all I can see out the windscreen is trees and it is pretty much a blurr after that"!

Dr

[Footnote: That particular aeroplane is now a long-time resident of YBCS]

Last edited by ForkTailedDrKiller; 31st Jul 2007 at 13:01.