PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tailwheel techniques
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2007, 11:59
HappyJack260

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First flight in a Chipmunk and I almost ran off the edge of the runway on take-off! It's not difficult to fly but torque induced swing on raising the tail was a bit of a shock to someone trained on Cessna 152's...After a few hours in a Pitts the Chippy felt a real pussycat (well, it is...).
With a Citabria/Decathlon, forward visibility is little different from a Cessna nosegear aircraft; Tiger Moth and Chipmunk are a little worse, and Pitts is virtually non-existent. If you can see the runway in the flare in a Pitts, you're probably in the wrong place!
Pitts - particularly the 260hp engined versions - the S-2B, S-2S and S-2C - have a very high sink rate - around 2000 fpm power off. They have bungee main gear, so if you drop it on less than perfectly, you'll bounce. And they're short-coupled, which means you don't want to be landing with drift on.
Pitts is extremely responsive to the controls which means (a) you can land it in a remarkably strong crosswind, with practice; and, (b) there's a tendency of most new Pitts pilots to overcontrol, particularly on the rudders, leading to the Pitts two-step on roll-out and a good chance of scraping a wing-tip. A light touch on the rudder and anticipation of yaw, are the key.
Even after 100+ landings in the Pitts I still have a sense of anticipation on downwind - but I suppose that's a part of the thrill...
You don't have to be a super-pilot to land a Pitts - just willing to learn the craft, and keep practicing.