PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Offsetting - time to make it official just about everywhere
Old 31st Jul 2007, 04:19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
338C, perhaps if I'd phrased my first post even halfway as clearly and succiently as you did your contribution to this thread, more people might have been able to understand my suggestion.

I liken our current enroute procedures with ultra accurate GPS and IRS navigation equipment to walking down a rifle range (for eight or twelve hours at a time!) exactly under the firing line of a constantly changing, highly trained(?) team of marksmen firing a bullet over my head every five minutes, and trusting that the constantly changing marksmen will always fire over my head.

In 9999.9% of cases they assuredly will, but once in while one might let his point of aim drop.

...and, (if I must walk on the rifle range), if I took the simple 'belts and braces' precaution of always walking one pace to the right of the very accurate firing line, I'd always be out of the line of fire laterally as well as vertically.

It's not rocket science to see that this has to be a safer procedure than sticking to the centre of the airway.