PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dragon Rapide (not!)
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2007, 02:48
Gipsy Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"As for contra rotating props and having a sheer pin to replace as a result of an omitted downwind check.....

Gypsy Queen..... that would be on the DC-3's on Zog I guess? Though I can't speak for the Beech 18's."

You've got me here, Gazza.

"Zog 1"?

I've wracked what's left of my feeble intellect but can't think what this might mean. Best I can do is a King of Albania. I am intrigued to know what this might be.

Curiously, the B18 was the opposite. Last of the downwind checks was "Tail wheel lock handle - LOCKED". It remained locked until just before you turned off the runway and you had to get the speed right off before making the turn - the machine could be twitchy on the ground and it would chase its tail with very little encouragement. In fact, the tail wheel was locked for engine start/run-up, take-off, landing and parked. I imagine the assembly had a shear pin but I can't remember from this distance in time.

Although I may have no recollection of the pin, I do remember that between "Altimeter SET - QFE" and "Fuel selector valve handles - FRONT tanks, crossfeed valve handle - OFF" was the curious instruction "Crew and passengers - ALERTED". I never knew quite how to deal with that one.