PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2007, 07:46
pira

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PJ2,
in all Boeing Aircraft the autothrottle system moves the throttles to iddle at about 27ft RA, unless you disconected the system prior to it. If you disconect the system and don't move the throttles to idle they will keep the same thrust they were producing prior to landing.Most Boeing aicraft are flown with autothrottle on even when manually handling, except for the 737 that has a recomendation to disconect autothrottle when flying manually, although the throttles retard to iddle the same way if you keep the A/T system engaged.
Although I personally think the Airbus system should be designed in a way to prevent the autothrottle to be engaged after touchdown (Boeing disengages the system 2 sec after touchdown) I would understand if the engine had maintained its commanded thrust when the A/T was disengaged; but the problem is that the engine accelerated to maintain Vapp because the SPD mode remained engaged (this would never have happened in a Boeing).
As I said before, I don't fly airbus, but this is what was said in the extensive report and by some friends who fly the A320. Flying Boeing, I aknowledge we are talking about 2 different phylosofies and I'm passing what was said to me by airbus pilots and what I believe it is true once it reasonably explains a lot of things.
I don't want to enter in a discution about which aircraft is best, because I believe both have good qualities, but no one can deny Boeing is a simpler,thus more reliable aircraft.
Regards