PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What needs to be done/sign of things to come?-merged
Old 30th Jul 2007, 07:46
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The reason many, if not most, GA companies are financially marginal is EXACTLY the same reason why most GA pilots are paid so little...supply and demand.

Too many companies chasing too little work.

It is that simple and everything else follows that one basic premise...supply and demand.

It is the reason why second hand aircraft values are so low...why GA pilot wages are so low....why charter rates are so low....because the supply of each out-strips demand by orders of magnitude....the supply of experienced pilots seems to be reducing below demand for the first time in living memory. For the last several years the supply of experienced airline pilots has been dwindling...that is now starting to flow through to Regionals and that flows onto GA...and in an interesting twist Flying Schools are hurting probably more than GA charter. Highly qualified and experienced Grade 1s are moving into the rhs of regional turboprops and and will be Training Captains in a few short years...because most, but not all, are too old to make it to the majors.

The very people needed to address the pilot shortage are in shortest supply...CFIs and experienced Grade 2s...most off to regionals or majors depending on their age.

What will a CFI at a decent size school be worth soon...what will one be worth at the Asian cadet factories in WA...$150k? When the only other option is shutting down your cadet system I would suggest $150/annum plus company car will be money VERY well spent to retain the services of an experienced, talented and qualified CFI. They can't move offshore...the problem is worse everywhere else.

What about experienced Grade 2s?

What is an experienced RFDS pilot worth to keep him forever, or attract in the first place?

100K plus a stable roster you can plan your life around?

Too much?

I am certain any beancounter/manager from RFDS reading this probably just experienced his hair stand on end and a chill sweep down his spine...because deep down he knows this is not rubbish.

To own a home, educate/feed/clothe a few children, run a car or two (that are not 15 years old), have the odd holiday and fund old age this is what is required....or are pilots not allowed to have such expectations in life?

Managers certainly have them.

The attraction of airlines is only partly shiny jets...the shine wears off real quick btw...the real attraction, actually more like financial imperative, of airlines is to be able to achieve a financial state that facilitates all ones normal life aims...children, a house in the burbs and a few toys with which to enjoy life....not to mention an old age that is above the poverty line.

What is an IFR Baron/Chieftain pilot in one of the major regional centers worth?

Given that most of these operations exist around the mining industry and that mining boom has driven cost of living in these towns through the roof I'd say there is a need for some improvement in the terms and conditions if you want any hope of retaining staff. A mate in Mt Isa tells me basic accomadation starts at $400/week IF you can find it in the first place...demand for services like accom outstrips supply in these places enormously.

I would guess that puts minimum wages around $1000/week...75K/annum gross...more for key staff like CPs and Training pilots and perhaps a retention bonus/profit share too.

What is a VFR C210 pilot living in a community worth?

I can gaurantee you it is more than the current award + free decent accomadation as a starting point. It probably includes a cash inducement to stay for 12 mths...maybe a months wages.

So if your business model/reality cannot sustain the above plus maintain your aircraft, be they C210/Baron/Chieftain/Kingair/C208/PC12 in first class condition then I respectfully suggest you will not be in business in the longer term.